A Travellerspoint blog

Kuala Lumpur

sunny 33 °C
View Our Travel Moves... on livetotravel14's travel map.

Friday -
The train station in woodlands had security like an airport which i had never seen before and when going through the final stage getting our stamps the security guy, read my passport and said your lasts name is Butterworth? I said yes it is! He said do you know Butterworth in Malaysia, i said yeah i know my name his famous! He laughed to himself and then told his friend next to him dealing with Joe. Well after along boring 8 hour train ride but it was sitting down in 2nd class so we couldnt complain! We arrived in Kuala Lumpur and headed straight to Mcdonalds for some tea. After that we decided what to do about where to stay as it was 11pm. We found the trains where still running and we had a few addresses of some hostels in Chinatown so we got the train to Pasar Semi. After discovering the ones we went to where full, we found Raizzy's Guesthouse costing us 40RM each for the night for a double room. We were lucky to find a hostel so late with it being 12am.
After getting up early, we made our way downstairs for breakfast which was included in the price. Breakfast was toast with Jam/Butter and cup of tea or coffee. We then packed everything up again and moved to hostel around the corner called Longhouse hostel where we got a 4 bed form for 22RM each a night. Then we headed to Batu Caves - there was markets, monkeys and people everywhere. We made our way up the 200 steps to the Cave and trying to avoid the monkeys as we walked past. The monkeys aren't shy and just run past you, snatch things out of your hand and run away with it. We finally got up the 200 steps to find they had ruined the caves with more markets inside. Looking around the Caves was amazing, you would have to see it for yourself to know what i mean but they are nothing like what i have seen in the UK before. After we had finished taking photos and looking around we decided there was nothing else to but head back and find another attraction. On the way back to the train station Joe wanted to try a fresh Coconut water obvs in a Coconut. The guy just chopped the top off and put two straws in for us. It was so refreshing and nice especially as it was out of the fridge. We made our way back to the KL Sentral and walked towards the butterfly aviary. As much as it sounds not very interesting the butterfly aviary was fascinating if you like wildlife. The butterfly aviary cost us 20 RM each which is 4 GBP. We then moved onto KL largest open aviary of wild birds. This cost us 38 RM each. It was amazing seeing all kinds of birds you just don't see in the UK like Horn bills, Toucans, all kinds of Eagles and Owls we'd never seen before and what made us laugh was they had 'Oriental Birds' which was a normal thing to us - Pigeons, Phesants and more. After alot of walking and it reaching 6pm and still HOT! We made our way back to our hostel for a shower and tea before heading to the Petronas Towers. By the time we had finally made it the towers it was 8:55pm and the Petronas Towers shut to go up at 9pm so we had missed our chance. We took some photos around the area and then headed back to our hostel for a good nights rest.
Sunday -
We went to KL Sentral after breakfast as we had decided we wanted to go to Langkawi which is a little island which is in Malaysia but an hours flight away. In KL Sentral station, there is an Air Asia where you can book flights, tour and more. We booked a return flight to Langkawi on the 24-02-14 from Subang Airport and fly back to Kuala Lumpur International Airport on the 4-03-14 then fly to Singapore early hours on the 5-03-14 before flying to Boracay Island 5 hours later. This return flight to Langkawi and flight to Singapore cost us 1490RM for all of us! After booking our random flight we headed to the markets in Kuala Lumpur to buy some cheap bargins! We ended up buying Ray Bans for 18RM which they wanted 40RM. A purse for 25RM which was meant to be 65RM and an Ice watch for 13RM as well as a Samsung headset for 20RM which was meant to be 65RM. After along day of walking around the market and hassle of everyone we walked passed we decided to head back to the hostel for some tea. Me and Joe decided to go to Chinatown around the corner for a late Birthday meal for me. Costing us 52.71RM for sweet and sour pork with rice and chicken fried rice with garlic veg and also a drink each. Walking through Chinatown we saw all the restaurants with alive frogs and seafood outside waiting to be picked for cooking!
Monday -
We packed up and made our way to the KL sentral for some lunch and exchange some money. We then got a train to Subang Jaya to get to Subang Airport. When we arrived at Subang Jaya we planned to walk to the airport but discovered it was along walk and only highways to walk along so we got a taxi costing us 30RM for all 4 of us! After wondering around for an hour we checked in at 15:35pm and made our way to the waiting area/Gates. The airport was tiny. After what seemed like a long wait of 1 hour 20 minutes, we boarded the plane and got given FREE water and crackers! No UK airline does this!

Posted by livetotravel14 06:16 Archived in Malaysia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint