A Travellerspoint blog

Mine & Joe's Adventure in Australia so far...

The East Coast....from Brisbane to Cairns 15/03/14 - 21/04/14

sunny 28 °C
View Our Travel Moves... on livetotravel14's travel map.

Well so far our adventure for Joe & I has been amazing.
Sadly the day we landed in Australia was the day Becka and Adam decided to go their own way.
We landed in Brisbane at 00:50am 15/03/14, made our way to Roma street and found one hostel with a receptionist there at 3am. $25 a night for 6 hours and a horrible room/bed for a night but it did the job.
Brisbane we spent 3 days whilst booking our east coast trip and a spot of shopping. We went into Wicked Travel and booked our greyhound bus from Bisbane to Cairns, Fraser Island 3 day/2 nights and Whitsundays trip 3days/2 nights at $1040 each including a Noosa's Gagaju bush camp for free...even though its free to book anyway and $50 pay when you get there for 'national park tax' which in our eyes we thought they were just charging us for 2 nights accomodatiom.
We also visisted the Steve Irwin Zoo in Beerwah for the day which was amazing. Sadly i didnt get to hold a Koala like i wanted to as they stop doing it at 02:30pm but we did get to pet, feed and have photos with Kangaroos. We had a fab day here at the Zoo.
We had a look around Brisbane but become quite bored and espically as we were finding it hard to socialise as every thought we wouldn't want to being a couple so we booked our greyhound bus up to Noosa.
Noosa is a beautiful little town 2 hours north of Brisbane. We stayed at a beautiful beach house hostel called Halse Lodge YHA which had a welcoming meeting every night at 6pm for all new arrivals with a free glass of wine. The bar was good, rooms were good and even the restaurant food was good but was abit pricey for a backpacker. The prices for rooms are expensive but Noosa is an expensive town and we shortly learned the price was worth staying for. In Noosa we met so many amazing backpackers who we have become friends with short/long term. We stayed in three types of rooms are were all wonderful...double room, five bed dorm and 16 bed dorm (Rainforest room). We partied every night in Noosa and ended up at the beach a few nights drinking and even the park where Joe and a few lads got abit too drunk and threw up. The beach in Noosa was beautiful, Joe has his first surfing lesson and I almost drowned in the sea (twice). The waves and current in the sea is extremely powerful so i can see why they take the lifeguard thing so seriously but at the point i needed help no-one bothered to help me. The national park was amazing to, the coastal walk was just breathe taking. Gagaju bush camp - best and worst thing about the east coast. We had so much fun here but we had an guy in our room who snored like an elephant the first night so we slept on the couch in the movie room which i then couldn't sleep in as i could here animals running around and was shitting myself. We saw a possum eating off the BBQ which was amazing to see and it wasn't at all bothered about us watching him and taking photos. We canoed down the Noosa everglades river to a rope swing and picnic area and also could go to a small beach but a few of us couldnt be bothered fighting the current again in the river so we decided to just stay at the rope swing. That night again we got drunk and played crazy card games like ring of fire with funniest rules ever!!!
The night we go back from Gagaju bush camp, we went back to the YHA where we ended up meeting to Canadian boys called Darryn and Devin. This was meant to be mine and Joe's night off drinking but Joe was influenced by the Canadians and we all ended up at the park and the boys very drunk on beer, white goon and red goon! Devin, Joe and Hanor (german guy) ended up being sick at the park. I went away for 5 minutes to come back to find Darryn walking back to the hostel drunk and didnt know who the hell i was before snapping his key in the lock of our hostel room gate and climbing over a 6 foot fence and falling off it.
After spending a week in Noosa we decided to move on up as we'd heard it was cheaper up north for hostels so we headed to Hervey bay (where you go to do Fraser Island) this turned out to be our worst mistake.
Hervey Bay - there was nothing to do here at all. Its a retiring town with a crap beach, harbour and shark museum. We stayed at the YHA here as well but sadly it wasnt as good as Noosa's YHA. We spent 4 nights here, struggling for something to do and also had shit weather. On our first night we had some food robbed out of the kitchen then on the second night..a girl in our dorm went to the toilet and forgor to lock the door on her way back in. So a drunken guy came into our room our robbed $270 out of my purse and $100 off the girl who left the door open. We didn't even know about it until 7am a female police women woke us up to tell us we'd been robbed. She poured out a few things from a bin bag asking did any belong to us...to my horror my purse was in there with all our money missing and also Joe's old phone has been taken to. I was devastated...but i felt lucky as there was my tablet and camera and bank card the guy could of taken as well. I felt so argue with the girl that left the door open and she had the cheek to laugh about it...she said 'that was her way of dealing with it.'
Anyway i shall stop ranting now...we moved on to Palace hostel where our Fraser Island company was based and we went from. We had a breifing about the trip at 4pm, before meeting everyone who was on our trip and then had a mini house party. As we were getting to know everyone...there was a girl called Jenny there who had heard about us through Devin and Darryn. It become a small world.
Fraser Island is amazing...if you ever get the chance...DO NOT turn it down!! We choose our car group, packed all our things up and watched a safety video before setting off for our amazing trip. We had an amazing car who were actually mainly from england...Jenny, Charlotte, Lukas, Queeva, Izzy, Joe & I. During our drives around the island, we played funny games like e.g. my vagina...starting with A then B when no one can think of anything beginning with A - My Vagina is amazing. We went to Lake Birrabean and Lake Wabby on our first day. They were fresh water lakes with natural tea tree oil in and 'magic' sand which cleaned your teeth, skin and jewellery. Our camping spot was just off the beach and open for dingos to come in and out as they pleased. When we arrived our tour guide Damo, told us not to leave any food outside of the car as it will attract dingos more. A lad called Damian didnt exacxtly listen and took toothpaste and chewing gum into his tent...a cheeky little dingo managed to sniff it out and got in the tent. The dingo didnt take anything but did spread all of Damian's things around the tent area. Then Damo told us we had to have a toilet buddy with a torch and metal pole incase a dingo came near us. Our toilet was the beach but it was an experience. We had two dingos come into our camp site that night and at first it was cool but I become abit afraid when they seemed to be everywhere, that night i didnt sleep well as i could here them routing around the tents. Second day, we visisted Eli creek (aka hangover creek), a ship wreck, indian's head (cliff) and champayne pools. All breathe taking things to see, we didnt want to ever leave. On our third day we went to lake Mckenzie before catching the ferry back over the Hervey Bay back to Palace hostel. When we arrived back at Palace, we heard PENIS being shouted which only meant one thing the Canadian boys where here!! We had a fun night as a group before we moved on to Agnes waters.
Agnes Water is another beautiful town also known as 1770. We stayed at a nice hostel called Cool Bananas the cleanest hostel i have ever been and only a walk away from everything. We were lucky to be able to get in a little free trip our hostel did to 1770 look out point on the cliffs/beach area. We also paid $75 each to go on scooter roo which is a group of bikers take you around Agnes water/1770 to see the Kangaroos and sunset at the harbour with potatoe wedges (if you pre-order). Watching the sunset at the harbour was beautiful and the best I have ever seen!!! We met some more great people in Agnes and also managed to do Scooter roo with Jenny. One night whilst drunk, I even pinky promise to an American girl called Margo i would get my nose pierced as she wanted her nipple done but didnt want to do it alone - I have wanted my nose done for years so the next day we did it...very happy i have finally got it done!! :). AFter four lovely days in Agnes water, we headed up to Airlie beach on a 12 hour night bus...worst bus journey ever!!!
Airlie Beach is a little town to party and go to for Whitsundays trip. We had an amazing time in Airlie beach as Jenny, Joe & I went there and met more new people and people we already new. Here is where we met Maria another person to add to our Australian family. Maria did her Whitsundays with Jenny on Spank Me - this boat is shit no matter what travel agents tell you dont go on it! After a few days partying with Maria, George, Amy, Amanda, Marc and Megan & more people...Devin, Darryn, Hannah, Joe and I went on our Whitsundays on the Avatar boat. Whitsundays is where we met the famous Hannah who Jenny, Devin and Darryn new and also become our Aus family.
Whitsundays was fab - our first day we sailed out to sea, had some lunch along with a talk from the crew and went for our first snorkel in our sexy stinger suit. The first snorkel wasnt that good as the water was murky and couldnt see anything so we climbed aboard after an hour or so to sailed to our stop point for the night which was a turtle breeding ground so we saw plenty of turtles whilst waiting for our dinner and sun to go down. We had a view drinks around the boat but it wasnt easy around 10+ germans who just wanted to speak to each other and no one else.
The second day we went to Whitsundays island which was breath taking and we seen sting rays and also very lucky to see a lemon shark (reef shark) before going to our second snorkel of the trip which was AMAZING like an aquarium we were literally swimming through fish, there was Longfin batfish and an Elvis fish (dont know the proper name) swimming close by as well. The third snorkel was not so good due to murky water and it ended up raining. That night the crew put up a little tent over one side of the boat but it didnt help much due to the open sides. Everyone ended up with soaking clothes and the night slowly died. Mine and Joe's pod ended up leaking so we slept under the tent after everyone had gone to bed which actually wasnt that bad. Third day we sailed back to land where we washed all our clothes and had a lovely shower.
We met up with everyone again and become stuck in Airlie beach due to the Cyclone (graded catagory one) in Cairns. One morning after a night out, Darryn booked the greyhound bus up to townsville (the closest place to Cairns we could get) whilst drunk and become stuck an hour away from Airlie beach. So being fab friends that we are...we tried to save him so Joe, Devin, Jenny, Maria, Hannah and I all borrowed our friends campervan and set off to save Darryn to find we couldnt after 20 minutes because the Cyclone had flooded all the roads and the winds were really high so sadly we quickly drove back to Airlie beach and waited for it to pass. So we carried on parting without Darryn and gained a new member of our group - Naomi. The next day we had a Pirate tea party with party hats :) best lunch time ever!! That night we got drunk in our hostel and then some how ended up going for a wonder around the streets...this is where a fun/crazy night began. As we left the hostel we found a trolley and as you do...we got Jenny in it and Naomi to push whilst i ran along side them filming it but then we could to a crash...Jenny slowly rolled side ways into the kirb and fell out the trolley cutting her elbow open. Then it was my turn to push Devin around the round about and also let him run into a kirb so he jumped out quick as it tipped over. We carried on walking but without the trolley where us girlies (Jenny, Naomi, Hannah & I) had a full moon party - walking around with our bums just hanging out. As we walked around messing around, we come across a rubber dingy with a motor so Devin, Joe, Jenny & Naomi decided to take a little trip out to sea whilst Hannah & I waited at shore. Hannah shortly fell asleep on the side walk so I waited alone haha! After gaining all members of our drunken group back we headed to the lagoon...so the boys could skinny dip. Along the way we met a random lad who seemed to be drugged up but wanted to join in with the boys jumping in the lagoon naked. Well a huge surprise came next....the police turned up! Threatening a $1500 fine to the boys, checking my bag and one of the wankers had a go at me for 'touching' his GoPro camera....I just bloody POINTED at it...thats it!!! Well after an eventful night, we started to head back to our hostel when out of the blue...Patrick appeared!! That just topped of our crazy night. Patrick was a Danish lad we'd met in Agnes water and everyone seemed to know him from the east coast. He become obsessed with our friend Maria and wanted to marry her...calling her princess all the time!! So funny! Also somewhere between all these crazy days, we all went shopping around Airlie beach and when we got back tot the hostel we found out that Devin & Maria had decided to get engaged (for a joke) buying each other a dice ring. Poor Patrick :(
After four days of being stuck we were able to move to Cairns. We went as a family to party up in Cairns picking up Darryn on the way from Townsville. After cheese chips & gravy and 11 hours later we arrived in Cairns...
Cairns is one of the big cities in Australia at the top of the east coast. We stayed at a hostel called Calypso just 15 minute walk from the city centre, it was nice and cheap with free wifi. We had a few nights out in Cairns and everyone (apart from me) took part in a killer pool competition which Joe won and the prize was a free bungee jump! On the Sunday 20th April - Easter Sunday Jenny, Joe & I did our skydive at 14,000ft over Cairns at 9am. We were all briefed on what was about to happen and recorded for our video. I was told i would second to last jumping out of the plane but no he surprised me and pushed us out third, Joe going first and Jenny was after me. I had prepared myself to watch everyone else before i had my turn so i put Jenny off with the look on my face when it took me by surprise. The skydive was amazing and i could never describe how it felt free falling for 60 seconds as it wasnt how i imagined - feeling like a roller coaster. After our adrenaline rush for the day we had a quick shower and go ready as our friend Naomi got us tickets for a Easter pub crawl :) it was fab! We pub crawled around hotels and hostels playing different easter games and playing in the pool & even having a BBQ at one hostel. We had a really good day and even managed to make it out at night time going home after 1am...thats amazing for me as i am shit at day drinking!

The Wedding
After our road trip...Devin and Maria decided to get married so we all prepared for the day. Girls getting the bride ready and drinking goon, Devin tried to sort out a instrument player to come play at the wedding but he wasnt allowed to play past 9pm and the wedding was at 10pm. Jenny made this fab speak which had everyone laughing. Patrick even tried to stop his princess getting married by proposing to her at her own wedding. We had the wedding on the pier in Cairns, with a small audience. The bride threw up behind a tree before her wedding due to too much goon! We had a lovely reception in our hostel dorm with wedding chocolate swiss roll.

Looking for Jobs...
We discovered there was nothing around Cairns so we looked on gumtree for days trying to find a job and wait for replies. We finally got a reply so we jumped at the chance and it ended up being a scam so if you ever get asked by someone on gumtree to pay a desposit for accomodation before arriving its a scam!! Joe & I had another $100 robbed off us but then few days later when we had come to terms it was a scam, Jenny found a place for all of us to go called Oasis Backpackers in Mildura - a working hostel. The hostel is ok, owner is known for being a hot head but if you stay on the right side of him hes fine but all the other staff are lovely. Especially the cleaner Julie - who also has her own band and plays at Sandbar once a month inviting all the backpackers to go! Anyway we made our way down to Melbourne by air then bought winter clothing as it is fucking freezing down south in Australia's winter!! Hopped on a 9 hour night bus to Mildura....

Posted by livetotravel14 11:45 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint